Chapel Haven Step Squad
Team Years: 1
Chapel Haven Schleifer Center and the Westville Village Renaissance Alliance are teaming up to spread awareness about Down syndrome and raise money for the Down Syndrome Association of Connecticut! We are walking to show our support for more than 400,000 individuals with Down syndrome in the U.S.
We would love for you to join our team in walking on September 26th or make a donation to our Chapel Haven Step Squad! Every dollar raised brings us one step closer to ensuring that every individual will have the opportunity to reach his or her potential.
Our walk will begin at Chapel Haven, proceed through the Westville neighborhood and end at Edgewood Park. We will have information about Down syndrome, goody bags, music, a balloon arch, and a photo area.
Thank you for your support!
For more information about the Down Syndrome Association of Connecticut, Chapel Haven Schleifer Center or the Westville Village Renaissance Alliance see below...
The Down Syndrome Association of Connecticut's mission is to improve the lives of people with Down syndrome, by promoting equity, opportunities, inclusion, and by empowering them and their families in all aspects of life. DS ACT provides many services including:
- Literacy Education Center to provide one on one literacy tutoring for individuals who have Down syndrome, focusing on decoding skills.
- Workshops, training sessions and conferences for parents, educators, and professionals to share up to date medical research, best educational practices, and long term planning information.
- First Call program to train volunteers to support new parents of babies with Down syndrome and those who receive a prenatal diagnosis. First Call is also organizing another round of outreach to Birth to Three agencies, medical professionals and hospitals’ social workers.
- Siblings First Call program to provide peer support groups for school-age brothers and sisters of children with Down syndrome.
- Sponsorship of social activities for families.
- Sponsorship of workshops and training sessions on educational best practices.
- Grants to schools and other organizations to support the inclusion of people with Down syndrome.
- Collaboration with other organizations to educate parents about their child’s IEP and their legal rights.
- Advocacy Avengers which is the DS ACT teen and young adult group for individuals who have Down syndrome that meets bi-monthly.
Chapel Haven Schleifer Center is a nationally accredited transitional living program with a mission of empowering adults with developmental and social disabilities to live independent and self-determined lives. We offer residential programs in CT and AZ, as well as day programs, recreation, vocational training, and a host of other supports
The Westville Village Renaissance Alliance (WVRA) is a New Haven, CT-based non-profit organization and a designated Connecticut Main Street organization. WVRA's mission is to partner with local businesses, property owners, residents and public and private institutions to foster and sustain economic revitalization, community engagement and cultural vitality in Westville Village and the surrounding neighborhoods, while emphasizing historic preservation and placemaking.
Our Funds Raised: $250.00My goal: $1,500.00 16%
I am a big fan of the Down Syndrome Association of CT. Chapel Haven has many adults with Down Syndrome who are leading happy and productive lives. We are glad to be part of this fun day - Catherine